These fluency tools and centers have been carefully designed to help develop fluency skills in beginning readers. It is so important that students are given ample opportunities to practice reading and refining their skills. There are four different activities included as well as some super fun voice sticks that are perfect to use for guided reading warm ups, literacy stations, intervention programs and more.
The activities included are:
1. Roll and Read Mats – Students roll a die and read the sentence. Each mat pertains to a specific word family; 24 mats included altogether.
2. Sentence Pyramids – These sentence pyramids are great as a warm up for guided reading. The pyramid structure helps to develop fluency. 60 cards are included.
3. Intonation Cards – Students read the sentences using appropriate intonation with consideration to the punctuation marks. 42 cards are included.
4. Sentence Pattern Cards – Students read the patterned sentences to develop their fluency skills. 16 cards are included.
5. Voice Sticks – Pair any of the above activities with the voice sticks included in the packet. They are so much fun and will even go with other reading activities that you have! Students choose a stick and then use that voice to read the text. There are 24 sticks included.
Why is fluency important?
Fluency is the ability to read accurately, at a good pace and with expression. It is an important skill for students to develop as it is the pathway to deeper comprehension. When our students spend most of their reading experience trying to decode words, there is less working memory available for them to really comprehend and connect with what they are reading. ‘Decoding’ becomes the job, whereas in fluent readers, ‘understanding’ becomes the job.
Please check out the preview for more details!
Both a USA and AUS/UK version are included.